If you like scallops, this is a great simple, delicious and quick recipe.
Make the sauce first
- Zest one orange and keep zest to one side
- Cut the skin and pith off this plus 1 or 2 more oranges then slice them about 7-8mm think
- Place slices in a hot cast iron or non stick pan and give them a good charring on both sides
- Allow to cool slightly then place in metal sieve and with the back of a ladle, squeeze all the juice out into the pan, then add the zest.
- On a low heat, with the juice just steaming, allow the juice to reduce. You can add a little sugar to help caramelise and thicken.
- Leave to one side, once ready.
- Trim if necessary then pat dry the scallops with kitchen towel and season with salt an pepper.
- Heat up a pan with some olive oil or butter in it.
- When hot, swiftly add the scallops, one at a time, forming a circle. They should sizzle, when the first one goes in otherwise the pan is not hot enough.
- Once the last scallop is in, cook for about 2-3 minutes(should be golden), then flip them one at a time, going round the circle and starting with the first one that went in.
- After a further 2 minutes, when golden on second side, remove from pan and serve
- Drizzle on the sauce, add garnish and serve.
Tip 1- No need to move the scallops around in the pan while cooking.
Tip 2- If scallops are stuck, then let them cook a little longer.
Tip 3- The scallops should be opaque and not translucent on the sides.